1) Collection, Use and Disclosure of Information
We only collect personal information provided voluntarily by our users. All children under 18 years of age require consent of their parent or guardian before providing any personal information to GoGoNews.
If you are under 18 years of age you must not give any personal information through this Site that would let someone contact you online or offline, such as your full name, home address, e-mail address or telephone number, or post any comments, opinions or other submissions without first asking your parent or guardian for permission.
i) Communicating with GoGoNews: If you send us an e-mail message, we will collect and may retain the information in that message and your e-mail address, as well as any personal information in our response and any further correspondence in order to respond to and administer correspondence.
ii) Newsletter subscription: The personal information collected by GoGoNews upon subscription to our e-mail newsletter is limited to your e-mail address and the name associated with your e-mail address, which will be disclosed to and stored by GoGoNews’ third party newsletter provider for the purpose of administering that e-mail newsletter. Our list is stored on our provider’s secure server. The provider does not, under any circumstances, take your information, share it with another party or use it for any purpose, including contacting you or marketing to you.
iii) Using the Site: While you are using this Site, GoGoNews may collect certain non-personally identifiable information about you, such as the URL you just came from, the next URL you go to, what browser you are using, the domain name of your Internet Service Provider, and your IP address. We also use “cookies”, which are text files that websites transfer to the browser directory of your computer’s hard drive. A cookie is a small piece of information that a website can store on your web browser and later retrieve. The cookie cannot be read by any website other than the one that set up the cookies. Aggregate, but not individual, cookie and tracking information may be retained, used and shared with third parties to help GoGoNews understand the demographics of traffic to our Site, in order to customize the Site to your preferences, to improve the content of our Site, and to research Site usage patterns and for product, website and software development. When you use the Comments section on our website, the name and email address, as well as IP address, are loaded into the GoGoNews database. We ask on our site and we urge everyone (adults and children) using the section to input only their first name and their hometown. Their email address does not appear on the site.
information will be used or disclosed for a new purpose, we will ask you for your consent, unless use or disclosure without your consent in the circumstances is otherwise permitted or required by law, regulation or court order. We may also use or disclose your personal information to enforce or apply the Conditions of Use for the Site, to the extent that your personal information is required in order to determine whether the Conditions of Use have been violated. We also use personal information to understand the demographics of traffic to our Site in order to customize the Site to your preferences, to improve the content of our Site, and to research Site usage patterns and for product, website and software development.
c) Disclosure: GoGoNews does not share personal information with advertisers or any third parties, except as described below:
ii) GoGoNews reserves the right to disclose personal information to a third party if a law, regulation, search warrant, subpoena or court order legally requires or authorizes us to do so.
iii) GoGoNews also reserves the right to disclose and/or transfer personal information to a third party in the event of a proposed or actual purchase, sale (including a liquidation, realization, foreclosure or repossession), lease, merger, amalgamation or any other type of acquisition, disposal, transfer, conveyance or financing of all or any portion of GoGoNews or of any of the business or assets or shares of GoGoNews or a division thereof.
2) How We Protect Your Personal Information: GoGoNews will take steps to protect personal information against loss and unauthorized access, appropriate to the sensitivity of the information. Access to your personal information is restricted to selected employees of GoGoNews.
4) Retention of Your Personal Information: GoGoNews retains your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purpose(s) for which it was collected, and as otherwise required to comply with applicable laws. When that need has ended, your personal information will be removed from our system and destroyed in a manner that ensures your security.
6) Access to, Correcting or Updating Personal Information: If you request access to your personal information or that of your child, GoGoNews will inform you of the existence, use and disclosure of your personal information and will provide you with a summary of that information. To protect your child’s privacy and security, we will take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting you access to the personal information we collect and maintain about your child. Please note that under certain circumstances, you may not be permitted to view your records, such as where the disclosure of your records would cause security, legal or confidentiality concerns, and including where GoGoNews is prohibited by law to disclose that to you. If GoGoNews determines not to provide you access to your personal information or that of your child, we will provide an explanation.
7) You can help us maintain the accuracy of your personal information by notifying us of any changes to this information. You may contact GoGoNews in any one of the following ways to request access to or correction or update of your personal information:
Send Mail: 22 St. Clair Avenue East, Suite 200, Toronto, ON M5T 2S3
Last Updated: December 9, 2010
GoGoNews is committed to complying fully with the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (Canada). We encourage children to talk with their parents about the information any website is collecting and decide together what information to share. We also encourage parents to talk to their children about limiting the release of personal information to anyone that they do not know.
When children post a comment to a news article on GoGoNews, they input their first name, their hometown and their email address. Their email address is not posted publicly on our site. Our comments section is moderated by the Editors of GoGoNews, for whom the protection of children online is paramount. If you have any concerns, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (416) 324-5706.